Tuesday, September 11, 2007

If this woman were on Top Chef, she would take down Tom Colicchio and then cook him up with a nice risotto.

If you live in or stop by Columbus, Ohio, you must get yourself to Alana's Food and Wine. Meet Alana Shock. This woman is a force for good food, a lover of fine wine and magician of tasty morsels. And the language she speaks is food--all food. My husband and I had our wedding reception at her restaurant and gave her full control over the menu. As a chef she is trustworthy and the food is always impeccable.

I had a special opportunity to eat at her home the other night--something I will always be grateful for. For her, it was a simple BBQ with some friends. However, for me, it was an opportunity to transport myself to another land where Morningstar Farms and frozen peas don't exist and the the honor and love of cooking reign.

She served up a fabulous spread of food, including ribs slathered in tasty BBQ sauce and flank steak that I probably could have been buried with. "Oh, no problem being dead now. As long as I have this steak...we'll be okay." I ate so much food that I think I hit the brim of my throat. Now, I know that this is really not what you do when you are eating such fucking incredible food ("savor it!"), but when you are me and you need to hold on to a little to save for the rest of the bland vegetarian week, you take all that you can. I seriously ate so much meat, that I won't have to eat meat until Thanksgiving 2008.

Have I been inspired to get off my ass and make good food? You bet. There's no need not to ever, ever. So I have to hit the books and get myself learned up! Thank goodness Fall will keep me indoors where I can take my time practicing. Get me the risotto!!!

No comments: