Friday, September 29, 2006

and the wisdom to know the difference

I'm not so great at keeping up with this blog. I'm definitely not what I'd call a real deal cheese wheel blogger. But I've found that writing here does some kind of good in my life. The simple act of writing is enough to keep my brain healthy amidst the whirlwind I live in right now (2 year old, being broke, working full-time, politics in Oldhio, dirty house, eroding landscaping on my property that beautiful gay men created, fleas!!!). It's been good. Hopefully, I'll write more...more that's somewhat better, anyway.

99% of my brain:
I'm about to quit a job that I've been in for over 5 1/2 years. I'm pretty down about leaving it. The change must happen though for a good number of reasons, one of which is the necessity for more money (a whole 75 cents more--but it adds up!). I could list all the nasty and heartbreaking others, but won't to save my ass. No steam needed in the last week.

The place is a non-profit career counseling/education agency that serves women in career/life transition. The clients I help often face multiple barriers in their search for meaningful work and a sustainable income. They come to us to find the answers they've been carrying in their pocket all along. A rainbow of options, with Jesse Jackson at the end, cheering them on. Or maybe someone just as fabulous and skilled. The work and results are absolutely rewarding. I've had a chance to recruit and work alongside hundreds of volunteers and witnessed the life change of well over 400 women. Have even changed myself and of course, learned via the stories of countless, what NOT to do with your career (thank GOD!!!). I'll make some mistakes in the future, no doubt.

My next job will provide me with a lot more space in my noggin to be creative, I hope. It's still in the non-profit, counseling vein--but with the Catholics! And thankfully it won't be as fucked up and complex. So I hope to write more, maybe. And hell, think more about what I'm writing. Or write what I'm thinking, or write...think...

And now Ms. Natalie has linked me to her blog. Yikes. The pressure to do well is on!

Happy Fall, ya'll. And to the Canadian...single-sex education benefits those who want to be there in addition to benefiting the world. Just ask Miss Jamaica World 2006!

Oh, quick poll: is it benefiting or benefitting? The dictionaries disagree and the bets are on...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say benefiting with one T. The fitting with two Ts make me envision whether something is the right size or not. Is the benefitting fitting? And that just complicates whatever context the original statement was made in. But that's just my head - I don't know about anyone else here.

Anonymous said...

No pressure, baby!! I linked your blog cause I love you just the way you are!!

Anonymous said...

Your heart is in the right place, and that being said, no matter what you do, success will follow. :)

Good luck

-Chris Gicky
myspace.com/gickychris

P.S.: And yes, I found you Via Ms. Dee :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and I know what your title means here :) I'm in that club.

-Chris Gicky

Fletch said...

Benefiting. Oh crap, that looks wrong now...

Anonymous said...

this is probably the most random and weird comment ever, but i check natalie dee and toothpaste for dinner almost daily, and i was just bored and clicked to your journal, and hey, you have save richmond as a link.

i live in richmond, how nuts is that!