Tuesday, June 20, 2006

hello, goodbye and hello trees

I took a week-long trip home to Virginia last week following a wedding in D.C. .The trip involved quite a whirlwind of an agenda, set only by myself for practicality--and to see everyone I need to see and miss.

As I looked back on my visit this weekend, I realized that above the friends and family I cherish, I so long for beautiful, lush, trees...miles and miles of them. I live in Ohio, a state just recently wiped clean of it's trees in the last hundred or so years. I was once told that you could actually walk the entire latitudinal length of Ohio on the tops of trees alone. I was mesmerized by the green, green--Southaan green trees back home. I became hypnotized by them at one point on a train trip up to D.C. As a matter of fact, I felt an urge to write poetry and sleep on a porch for an entire year, I was so under the spell.

I listened to Al Gore on Larry King Live and couldn't help but think about how we need a new green revolution...one so separate from the Democrats who failed to pull Bush out of the White House the second go round. It has to be green, and forceful, and now--and not just for party comeback. It has to be for just what it is...for the earth alone, and what's left of it. Check out what's being done now. Thanks Trees!

No comments: